Sunday, April 19, 2009

Thing 20

I had fun with Google Docs. At first I was having a bit of a tough time coming up with a need for a document, but I spent the day with family and conversation naturally drifted to books and Destin, so I took my inspiration from there. I made a set of tables for each family to list titles they wouldn't mind traveling with and will invite everyone to collaborate by filling in their tables. Then we'll have a good list of a traveling library...I asked people to indicate which title they'd like to read during our week on the beach by coloring in the cell the title is located in. Easy enough! We'll see if it gets response...I've only shared with my Mom and Dad so far...we'll see how far it goes from there. I LOVED the linking tool...linked my list with this blog so people could use my shelfari to get descriptions of my titles. My book list is far from complete...it's a work in progress! That could be a good way to use Google Docs at work...make a collaborative list of book titles that were read aloud and enjoyed by a class. Or make a book list that students use to post their fave reads of the year. I liked the drawing tool...it could be used as a collaborative 'doodle' where people are invited to add to a drawing. For classroom use...maybe post a math problem and invite online collaboration until a solution is found????

1 comment:

  1. Google Docs --- "cloud computing", where the work and storage are done on other computers than your own --- promises to be a great solution to a lot of problems. It's worth investigating.

    One problem: %^&* virus checkers - a necessary evil. They do their job but it takes lots of your computer's time to do it. Cloud computing (like Google Docs) helps, but shifting this load onto their server computers. These can be optimized to do it well and in the background.

    ReplyDelete