Saturday, April 4, 2009

7b

In my 'quick-scan' of my G-Reader, I found an interesting article called Time to Read written by a Scottish teacher...lamenting the same things we lament here in the good ol' USofA...'magine that! He talked about 'teaching to the test'...over-assessing every little thing kids do in the classroom...taking a lot of the fun out of the classroom and replacing it with over-emphasis on number grades, essays, examination. He wants to read some novels in the classroom, just for the fun of reading them and not following them up with essays and assignments. He wants to jump into poetry and not ask kids to analyze every one of them...just to show them that they can be simply enjoyed. It was interesting to read the comments, obviously from fellow Scottish-ites using terminology that was pretty foreign to me, but no doubt common educator-lingo in Scotland. It was a good read, and one I think I'll go back and comment on, now that I think of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment