Saturday, April 18, 2009

Thing 19

VoiceThread is very cool! I can think of lots of ways I could use it with my family members...they are so funny and we have such a good time with mass-emailing one another. We definitely think we're the funniest family ever, and there are so many of us that I doubt anyone would be willing to argue the point with us. With school, I can see many applications as well, especially in writing or using parts of speech. One good photo can obviously launch a multitude of responses...we could practice using descriptive adjectives, finding words that name nouns, writing good sentences or making sentences better with description. With math, I can see posting a number and having students brainstorm things that the number represents. For instance, I've seen activities where the teacher puts a number on a chart tablet and the students one-by-one come to the tablet and write their thoughts that the number brings to mind. For example, the number could be 24...students could write "2 dozen", or "6 x 4", or "hours in a day"...that kind of thing, but without the chart paper. It would be just a 5-minute computer lab activity...just enough time devoted to get a little set of brains thinking numerically.

1 comment: